A reader down the coast asked a touching question. She wrote a poem about her son’s addiction. She had obtained his permission to start submitting, and was interested in my take. After reading her piece, I asked her to consider several things:
- When did you ask for permission?
- How old was he when you asked?
- Was it during an in-patient treatment stay?
- Was he new to recovery?
- Was he emotionally and financially dependent?
- Is he emotionally and financially dependent now?
If the answer to any of these is yes, to publish before her child had the maturity to understand, really understand, the emotional impact of being published about would be taking advantage of a minor or dependent adult.